We are thrilled to offer therapeutic LASER therapy for our canine and feline patients. This is a cost-effective, drug free, and effective modality to treat a variety of conditions. Best of all, the treatments are non-painful, quick, and low stress to perform.
1) How does it work?
Therapeutic lasers (also called cold lasers) use infrared energy to stimulate release of the body’s universal energy chemical, known as ATP. Similar to when an acupuncture needle used, local and systemic effects are activated which decrease inflammation, reduce pain, and stimulate tissue healing. Laser is extremely well tolerated and provides a pleasant warming sensation when applied to the pet. Laser can also have cumulative pain relieving and healing effects although treatments are typically performed more frequently than acupuncture treatments.
2) What are some common indications?
- Wound healing (post-surgical, traumatic injuries, lick granulomas) – speeds the healing process, reduces swelling, provides pain relief.
- Laser can be used to stimulate acupuncture points, so many of the conditions that can be treated with acupuncture can also be treated with laser. In particular, patients with orthopedic and neurologic disease can benefit from the pain relief and reduction of inflammation that laser therapy can provide.
- Pets who do not accept acupuncture therapy (especially feline patients)
Acupuncture and Therapeutic Laser Together
The doctor may recommend that both modalities be used simultaneously in one treatment. This provides the best results and the most flexibility to modify the treatment to the pet’s individual condition. Some examples where both may be recommend include:
1) Multiple areas of discomfort – allows all areas to be treated in one session
2) Acute/severe conditions, for example IVDD – pain management is most effective when it is multimodal (uses several different types of treatment)